INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT PROCESS
Once you have been officially accepted as an ASiiA participant, and do not already have a placement, you can start searching for an internship. Placement opportunities can be found in Corporations, Nonprofit Organizations, Research Institutions or University Departments. It is easiest to find a placement in a partner University. These partner Universities include the University of Alberta, the University of Calgary, MacEwan University, the University of Lethbridge and Olds College.
Finding a Placement in Alberta:
- Consult the job offers advertised on our website.
- Search for a job through our recommended job websites and apply directly to companies in
*** Note: Please do not directly contact University Professors or University staff other than the
coordinating office, whose contact will be provided to you by the ASiiA coordinator.
- Be proactive and start your search for a placement early.
- Ensure that the company is located in Alberta.
- Please use the template provided for your Cover Letter
- Regularly check out the job offer section for updates.
- Have your application material proofread.
- Promptly answer all emails from coordinating offices in Alberta and Saxony.
- The more potential employers you contact, the higher your chances are of finding a placement.
First impressions are important! Here's an introductory email template for contacting potential employers.
Next Steps if an Offer Has Been Made:
- Be sure that you understand and agree to the terms and conditions of your internship, including but
not limited to job tasks, working conditions, location, length of internship and workweeks.
- It is strongly recommended that you and your employer speak via Skype or by phone at least once
before you accept an internship to clarify mutual expectations.
If You Accept The Internship Offer:
- Please inform the ASiiA coordinator in Saxony of your accepted offer. You will need to send the
Company Data and Job Description Form to your employer to be filled out and sent back to the
- Once the forms are completed and received, the ASiiA coordinator in Saxony will create an ASiiA
Internship Agreement that will be sent to you.You will need this to apply for your Work Permit.
- It can take at least 4 weeks to complete the work permit application process, therefore you need to
apply as early as you can.
If No Offer Has Been Made:
Unfortunately, if you are unable to find a suitable internship for your desired time frame, you will need to consider postponing your internship to a later term. Please inform the ASiiA coordinator in Saxony if you are available to start an internship at a later date.